The following is an overview of the user manual for the Z-Wave product Z-Wave Universal Dimmer (RF9643-N)from Eaton. To view other Z-Wave products and manuals from Eaton follow that link.
Features & Benefits:
• Replaces standard switch to add local and wireless control
• Compatible with most common residential lighting loads including LED, CFLs, INC, MLVs, ELVs, HAL.
• Single pole and 3-Way control: Use with Z-Wave Plus Accessory dimmer RF9642-Z
• Neutral is required for installation
*3-Way Wired installation
• Features 7 step blue load indicating LED light that can be dimmed in ON or OFF state
• Supports Z-Wave Plus technology including S2 Security certification for advanced encryption & cybersecurity
• Voice and app based control when used with compatible Z-Wave controller
As a Z-Wave Plus certified product, Z-Wave Universal Dimmer supports Z-Wave S2 security. The following security modes are directly supported:
- S2 Authenticated
- S2 Unauthenticated
Eaton describes Z-Wave Universal Dimmer as having the following features:
- Firmware updatable via a compatible Z-Wave gateway
- Neutral Wire Required
- Loads Controlled
- Switch Load Capacity Watts
- Z-Wave Scene Type
- FLiRS capable
- Supports Network Wide Inclusion
- Supports Z-Wave Explorer Frames
- Supports Z-Wave SmartStart allowing you to setup the product simply by scanning its QR code via
SmartStart QR code's location as follows: The Z-Wave Plus Device Specific Key (DSK) is required when adding the Z-Wave Plus Universal Dimmer RF9643-N to a Z-Wave network with a controller supporting Security 2 (S2). The DSK can be located on the card insert in the box.
Factory reset Z-Wave Universal Dimmer
Local Reset (RF9643-N & RF9642-Z) (Please use this procedure only when the network primary controller is missing or otherwise inoperable).
The device could be reset locally. This will cause the device to be excluded from its network and restore to factory default
Before leaving the network the dimmer will send a notification to the controller indicating its departure from the
• Turn the device ON.
• Press and hold ON/OFF button for 20 second till the LED flashes for the fifth time. (third time for RF9642-Z)
• Release the ON/OFF button.
• LED will start flashing rapidly. Once the LED starts blinking slowly, that indicates the device is
not part of the network..
Rapid start feature (RF9643-N only):
This feature ensures that LED/CFL lights turn on when the dimmer preset level is low. With this setting enabled, the lights may momentarily come
ON brighter than the preset level (less than one second) and then dim down to the preset level. Depending on the type of light used, this feature
may not be needed. To enable/disable the feature, turn lights ON. Press and hold the ON/OFF button for 10 seconds until the blue indicator LEDs
flash for the third time, then release the button. This feature is disabled by default.
Removing Z-Wave Plus Wireless Universal Dimmer from a Z-Wave Network:
1. To exclude this device from a Z-Wave network, select the setting on your Z-Wave controller for exclusion (Uninstall, Remove
Device, Remove Node, Exclude Device, etc.).
2. Once your controller is in exclusion mode, press the device ON/OFF switch one time to exclude it from the network. The LED will start blinking.
This product may be added to a new or existing Z-Wave network. An Eaton Wiring Devices Z-Wave device has a blue LED,
which will blink when the device is not included in a Z-Wave network. The LED stops blinking when the device is in a network.
• This product works with other Z-Wave products from different vendors and product categories as part of the same network.
• This product is a listening node and it will act as a repeater in the Z-Wave network. It will perform the repeater function with
Z-Wave products from Eaton and from other Z-Wave vendors.
• This secure Z-Wave Plus device will only associate with other secure devices based on the Z-Wave controller it’s being used with.
Please refer to instructions provided with the controller for more details.
Adding Z-Wave Plus Wireless Universal Dimmer to a Z-Wave Network:
1. To include this device in a Z-Wave network, select the command on your Z-Wave controller for inclusion (Install, Add Device,
Add Node, Include Device, etc.). Then press the device ON/OFF switch one time to include it in the network.
2. Based on the controller, the controller may ask you to scan the QR code on the device or manually enter 5 digit code under the
QR code to install the device as a secured device. You may find this QR code on the device or included in device packaging.
3. After the Device is added to the network, the LED will stop blinking. This indicates the device is installed in the Z-Wave network.
Please note that this is a user manual Z-Wave Universal Dimmer from Eaton is provided as is and without warranty; all information contained herein is provided by the manufacturer or the certifying body. The information provided is for reference only and is not intended to be used as a substitute for professional advice. ZWaveProducts.com only warrants and is only able to support products purchased directly from us. If you have Z-Wave Universal Dimmer and have not purchased it from us, please contact the manufacturer directly with any further questions you may have.